Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Grumpiness is Hereditary

If I have any doubt that Caroline is my daughter, all I need to do is wake her up every morning.

It is safe to say that I am NOT a morning person. Caroline is exactly like me in this regard.

When I go into the girls' room to wake them up to get ready for school, Caroline will look up at me, then quickly roll over onto her stomach in the classic, "If I pretend I didn't see him, maybe he'll pretend not to see me."

If you try to say "Good morning!" to Caroline, she will quickly tell you, "No! Be quiet!" Trying to sing to her to raise her spirits is like poking a bear with a stick. A bear that has just woken up from her winter's hiberation, I might add.

When you pick her up to change her diaper (or have her sit on the toilet, as we begin potty training her), she screams bloody murder. If CPS were in the house at that very moment, they would probably take her from us just on the volume of her cries.

It is not until about 10-15 minutes have passed that Caroline will fully wake up and begin to interact. And it is only after she's had some milk or some cereal that she will feel ready to smile and give you a hug.

I hope she never has to take an 8:00 am class in college. I would fear for her roomates.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Haha! Chris and I are both morning people, and our kids inherited that gene. I've never really thought about a grumpy morning-toddler before.