Saturday, July 22, 2006

The girls are standing, but it's too hot to walk!

As I predicted, Caroline stood on her own last Saturday, almost a week after seeing Katherine stand on her own.

As luck would have it, I was holding my camera right at the moment Caroline stood for the very first time. Here is Caroline in her moment of glory:

I did it!
(click on photo for larger view)


The look of joy on Caroline's face says it all, doesn't it? I don't need to write anything else.

****************************

This past week, like the rest of the country, has been H-O-T where we live.

Last week it gave us a chance to try out a small wading pool we bought for the kids at a garage sale earlier this year.

Caroline was down for a nap, so only Katherine got to play in the pool with grandma, who was visiting from Los Angeles.

Katherine in her bathing suit with grandma.
(click on photo for larger view)

Katherine was hilarious in the wading pool. We sat her in it, and she just sat there.

That's it.

Just sat there.

She didn't move, didn't play with the water toys, didn't splash around.

I realized after about a minute she was waiting for us to start wiping her down with the wash cloth, as if she were in the bath tub!

Katherine kept looking up at me, as if to say, "What are you waiting for? Aren't you going to clean me? And why the heck am I wearing clothes in the bath tub?"

Only after much prodding by grandma did Katherine finally loosen up and start playing in the water. But it took a good 5-10 minutes!

What the heck am I supposed to do in this thing?
(click on photo for larger view)


Later in the week, Caroline and Katherine visited their friend Leo, and got to play in his wading pool.


The girls' first pool party.
(click on photo for larger view)

Unfortunately, I was at work while this pool party was going on, but I made sure that Terri knew to keep Leo at arms length from the girls.

There is to be NO sitting side by side in the pool with my girls and any young boys until the girls are at least, say, 25 years old! :-)

****************************

It is really hot tonight.

It's so hot in our office where the computer is located, you could fry an egg on the desk -- and I'm not kidding.

We have the girls' bedroom window open while they are sleeping tonight. And since our neighbors also have their windows open, we can smell the faint odor of cigarette smoke wafting through the open window of our neighbor's house and into our girls' room.

Ugh. What a choice. Close the windown and overheat our girls, or leave the window open and expose them to second hand smoke. I'm seriously considering going next door and asking them to move to another room when they smoke.

Hopefully tomorrow will be cooler.

2 comments:

Amy75 said...

I love the pictures! Their little sun hats are so cute : )

liz.mccarthy said...

I haven't checked in on the Lim Twins for a while, they have gotten so big and cute!!!.....Where do you guys live in Cal? We are just north of SF in Marin County. Liz